Friday 7 May 2010

Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do.

Daisy on the lawn

Daisy on the drive

Here is a photo of the long awaited Daisy cardigan. It is a Kim Hargreaves pattern in her Breeze book. I have never attempted a Kim Hargreaves pattern before and it took me a little while to get used to the way she writes the pattern but it was a lot easier than I had expected.

I decided on lilac with a green edge on the sleeves and inside the pockets. I really wanted some green pearlised buttons to pick out the colour but could not find them. I never realised that there were so many shades of green. I had to settle for some lilac flowers instead. If anyone has a good online supply of buttons that they know about I would love to hear about them.

I knitted it in a DK cotton by Sirdar which I bought cheaply from Kemps.

I was a little disappointed with the cardigan because the tension was all wrong. I hadn't done a tension square and I have realised I am a very loose knitter. It has actually come out about two inches bigger than it should have done. When I compared the way I knit to the other knitters I know I realised that I do not have any tension on the yarn as I knit. It just flops about in my fingers. I am trying to find a way of putting more tension on it but it is like learning to knit again. It has really slowed me done. Still, better to be done properly.

I have spent the last couple of days working on tension squares for various patterns and in different yarns. I will keep up the good work and stay calm!


4 comments:

  1. Ooh. Very, ver pretty! The spring colors are delicious.

    Thanks for visiting my blog & commenting on my photos from work... I cannot reply to you comments via email. If you wan to fix this, here's how: http://youjustgottakeepknittin.blogspot.com/p/read-this-regarding-emails.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color of your spring-like cardigan! You asked about online buttons - you might try http://www.etsy.com/shop/bluemanateebuttons. I love looking at their buttons, but have never tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Yes Terry said which ones would you like. Not sure they would be suitable for your knitted items though as I'm not sure how they would wash up, but anyway you'll have to experiment first. I love the cardi. It's a fab pattern and love the colour and buttons. It's worth the time and effort. Keep practising your tension!! Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's lovely! The green is a nice touch.

    I sort of do this thing for tension where I wrap the yarn around my finger. I think I learned it out of Stitch N Bitch. And it took a while to get used to! But now it feels natural.

    ReplyDelete