Thursday 27 May 2010

Chelsea 2010 Part 1

This is my first post about the Chelsea flower show 2010. Yes, I'm afraid it does mean that there will be more. The computer was being a bit slow tonight so I have only put the first batch of photos on. Here is a photo of a lawn mower that my son took a shine to. We actually lost him for a little while at the show and I found him sitting on this lawn mower. He hadn't even realised that we were gone!

The runaway lawn mower


Vegetables in the Floral Marquee





These are some of the small gardens. Overall I was a little disappointed in Chelsea this year. I have to say that I found it a bit mediocre. The gardens seem to be designed for the cameras now and not the public. I found it very difficult to see the gardens, not only because of the crowds but because they didn't seem to be designed to be seen from the ground. There wasn't a large show garden that stood out as being one that I particularly liked or inspired me. Even last year, when Chelsea was gripped by the recession there were one or two gardens there where the planting was exquisite and the overall design was beautiful. I didn't find it this year.

A few years ago Chelsea had a show garden designed and built by the Larkhill prisoners. It was superb. It was a small boat on some water with some wild flowers around. There were also gardens on a slope so that the whole of the garden could be seen. Not so this year.

I never thought I would say this but I really miss Diarmuid Gavin. Not only for his designs but also for his BBC TV coverage. It seems that the show is no longer for the public with the TV coverage as a back up. It seems that the TV coverage is the main event. And although the gardening personalities alone are all quite nice, when they get together at Chelsea they seem to have turned into a bunch of luvvies.

This, of course, is just a personal opinion. It is always nice to go for a day out in London so I should stop moaning. And my car made it to Battersea Park and back, which is always a result.

I will post more photos so that we can all feel that we have got our money's worth. Still enjoying the great weather here.

I have been reading on everyone else's blogs about the Sublime yarn sales at both Kemps and Black Sheep. Must try to resist.

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures of the Flower Show are just beautiful - particularly, the one of the vegetables. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are beautiful. :) Too bad that the show itself was a disappointment. I would love to go to one of these things tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I really enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must get harder every year for garden designers to come up with something original and striking. There's so much money involved now isn't there? That doesn't always help... I didn't watch any of the coverage of the show, as I've felt the last couple of years that everything is recycled! Might just be me getting jaded. My own traditional cottage garden continues to delight & surprise me at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did manage to find some lovely corners tho didn't you? Love the blue bed 'neath the quote about the bees:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed lookng at your photographs of the Chelsea Flower Show.

    ReplyDelete